Earl Grey and Dark Chocolate Chip Biscotti


Vegan MoFo couldn't have come at a better month for me than November. There's loads of birthdays including my own (yay Scorpios!), the Manchester and Liverpool launches of the Cake Liberation Front, another work Come Dine With Me, the Melisser Elliott booksigning at the Thirsty Scholar and lots more. But first to start things off, a new recipe.

My friend Helen is an earl grey drinking chocolate lover whose motto is and has always been 'Eat Dessert First'. For her birthday I sent her a book and a bag of these biscotti to nibble on whilst reading.

Earl Grey and Dark Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Based on the biscotti recipes in the wonderful Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
Ingredients
2 tablespooons of ground flaxseeds
1/3 cup of soya milk
zest of a small lime – about 2 teaspoons
¾ cup of caster sugar
½ cup of sunflower oil
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups of plain flour
2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder
2 teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of Earl Grey tea
1 cup of dark chocolate chips

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas 4
Grease and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk the ground flaxseeds with the soya milk for about 30 seconds. Mix in the sugar, oil, lime zest and vanilla extract.
Mix in the flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, salt and tea.
Mix together and just before the dough comes together throw in the chocolate chips. Add a bit more flour if it's too sticky.
Form a rectangular log shape with the dough on the greaseproof paper measuring 12 inches long by 4 inches wide.
Bake for 25 minutes. Switch off the oven and let the log cool on the baking tray for 30 minutes.
Re-heat the oven to 325F/160C/Gas 3
Transfet the log to a chopping board and using a breadknife press down on it and cut it into ½ inch slices. Stand the slices curved side up ½ inch apart on the baking sheet.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until the slices appear dry and toastesd. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Comments

  1. They look amazing I may give them a go this weekend. I am totally missing the vegan mofo boat sadly, so I'm cooking vicariously through your blog!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you on the Vegan MoFo site. Can't wait to try this! Love biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers. They're good cos they keep for up to a month too. I made 3 of the biscottis in Vegan Cookies invade Your Cookie Jar last Christmas and put them in mixed bags for presents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone loves it when people come together and share opinions.
    Great website, continue the good work!
    Look into my blog :: Real estate turkey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it
    was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your
    blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for first-time blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it.
    Here is my web site - boligityrkia.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very possible that I'm going blind, but I don't see the tea listed in your recipe ingredients??? These sound amazing and I want to make them- could you tell me how much tea to use?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cola de Mono

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe