Boozy Risotto and Vegan Vegas!

A few weeks ago I heard about a Las Vegas hotel with a vegan food offer. I was interested to discover this as it's unusual for a hotel to do this and hopefully a sign of things to come. One of my best mates also wants us to go to Vegas for Viva Las Vegas the Rockabilly Festival to celebrate a big birthday so I'm starting my vegan research early! The Hotel is the called The Wynn and menu looked great with dishes such as Chick'n Breast with toasted almonds, green beans and mushroom sauce, Old Bay 'crab cakes' and American classics such as Pot Pie and Vegan Meat Loaf. There were also a couple of tasty sounding breakfast dishes such as Peach Pancakes and a Tofu Eggs Benedict. There was also one of my favourite things to make a home - wild mushroom risotto. Here's my take on risotto which has a good glug of red wine in it.


Red Wine and Mushroom Risotto

Ingredients - Serves 4
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 red pepper chopped
120g of sliced chestnut (cremini) mushrooms
1 cup of vegan friendly red wine
1 and a half pints of stock
8oz of risotto rice
1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup of nutritional yeast

Method
Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and garlic and stir for about five minutes.
Add the pepper and mushrooms cook for a few minutes more. Add the fresh thyme.
Add the risotto rice and the cup of wine and stir until the liquid cooks down. Then start adding the stock a ladle at a time until the rice is cooked. Continue to  stir whilst it is cooking, It will take around 20 minutes for the rice to cook through. Stir in the nutritional yeast and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with a side salad.

Comments

  1. I have heard such good things about The Wynn. I think they have some pretty great vegan room service as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stayed at The Wynn! Well The Encore which is part of The Wynn, they brought me room service vegan pizza and green juice for breakfast at 3pm and you can eat vegan chicken and waffles by the pool. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed at the Wynn a million years ago, and the hotel was lovely. I don't think they had the vegan offer then, but it was a good place to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just got back from Vegas - there is a pizza restaurant in the Luxor hotel called Slice of Vegas which does vegan pizza and vegan chicken dishes (also has a 'normal person' menu!!. We went and the pizza was great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe