Vegan Mofo Day 3 - Quick, Easy and Delicious - Lentil and Cashew Nut Dahl


So, I didn't sign up for Mofo 15. I'd already prepped a load of posts on a theme and when the rule changes were announced I felt disheartened and a bit panicked that I wouldn't have time in September to create a load more blog posts. However, once it started I really wanted to join in. I won't make the whole month particularly the end of September - Matt and I are involved with a big nationwide event the first weekend in October and our energies will be going there - check out We Shall Overcome. I am going to try to post when I can though on here and on my Twitter account which is @cakelibfront

A few people have asked what my theme was so here it is. It was Carol Vorderman - Accidental Vegan Hero!




For non-UK folk who don't know who she is, Carol rose to fame as the maths wizz on Channel 4 tv quiz show Countdown. It had the distinction to be the first ever programme shown on Channel 4 back in 1982. Can you believe we once only had 3 tv channels!!! Carol has gone on to present many other shows and back in the noughties along with nutritionist Anita Bean was the face of a series of Detox cookery books and a tv show. I've never actually seen the tv shows and I came to the books later. You can still pick them up for next to nothing in charity shops, on eBay or Amazon. I found my first Detox book about a week after I became vegan 9 years ago, I think it was 99p in Home Bargains. I am still cooking regularly from it and have collected the other books in the series along the way. The thing I love about the books is that the majority of the recipes are vegan, and produce quick, tasty, wholesome, after work meals.


I've probably made this Lentil and Cashew Nut Dahl from Carol Vorderman's Detox Recipes a hundred times over the years, it's that good. With the addition of toasted cashew nuts, carrots and courgettes it's more than just the average red lentil dahl. It still comes together really quickly in just one pan though. It's simple enough to throw together when you're tired but fancy looking enough to serve to guests.



In fact it's so good that an ex-boyfriend of mine who didn't cook even learned to make it. If that's not a recommendation I don't know what is! It's great served with pilau rice or with chapatis and a side of bahjees or veggie samosas.

Comments

  1. I've never seen those books, I'll have to keep my eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, I never even knew she'd written any recipe books! That dahl looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an amazing theme! A bit after the fact, the mofo site said 'post what you like, these are just ideas' but by that time I'd done exactly the same thing - abandoned by theme to use the prompts. Anyway, it can't be all bad if you get to make a load of dahl. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame you abandoned your theme, I'm still trying to work mine in somehow. It's a shame to let hard work and prep go to work, so I'm pleased we'll get to see some of it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dahl looks fantastic! It's probably the fanciest one I have seen in a very long time. :) The upcoming project sounds interesting too. Good job. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love red lentil dahl, adding cashews, even better! Go with your theme anyway, don't let it go to waste. I bet you could even just stick the title of the prompt in front of most of your posts -though the 'something blue' on has me stuck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cola de Mono

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe