Trying Out Linda McCartney New Pulled Chicken

The new range of Linda McCartney frozen products was launched the other week. We managed to get our hands on a bag of the pulled chicken and put it to good use last weekend.


I decided to team it up with a jar of this free-from Bechamel sauce from Tesco. I always make my own sauces for lasagne and wasn't expecting much but it was ok and I would use it again. I definitely think I would take a jar of it on holiday for ease.


One of my favourite lasagnas in my pre-vegan days involved chicken mince which made me come up with a chicken, mushroom and spinach lasagne. I fried an onion then added the bag of pulled chicken and some white wine. I also added a punnet of sliced white mushrooms and some homemade tomato pasta sauce that we had leftover. It was probably the equivalent of a jar of shop bought sauce. I simmered it for about 20 minutes and seasoned with salt, black pepper and a little dried tarragon.


I layered up with the chicken mixture and the bechamel. On the middle layer of bechamel I also added about a quarter of a cup of finely grated Violife Prosociano (I used a microplane for all the cheese in the recipe as it helps it melt really well). To the top layer of white sauce I added about half a cup of Violife original grated from the block and then another quarter of a cup of grated Violife Prosociano.



I was really pleased with how it turned out. The finished lasagne made four servings. I would have made a bigger one but didn't have many lasagne sheets. There was leftover filling that we had in an oven baked quesadilla with some added cheese and slices of tomato. I will definitely have to try it in BBQ sauce in a sandwich next with a side of coleslaw. The other new products are chorizo and red pepper sausages, shredded hoisin duck and beef burrito. Have you managed to try any of them yet?

Comments

  1. That lasagne looks amazing, it looks so creamy and cheesey! I want to try the vegan hoisin duck, but the all sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed with how well the cheese melted into the sauce. I cooked it with foil over it and I think that helps with melting Violife. Can't wait to find the hoisin duck!

      Delete
  2. Wow, your lasagne looks so good; the cheese looks perfectly melty! Using the leftover filling in a quesadilla sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have only recently started making quesadillas and I love them!

      Delete
  3. That looks great. I quite like the LM chicken, I think it's neutral but of a similar texture to canned tuna, so I keep meaning to try it in a tuna/mayo/sweetcorn type scenario by adding some nori flakes and mayo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a really excellent idea. When I added the tomato sauce to this the colour and texture totally reminded me of tinned salmon!

      Delete
  4. OMG! That lasagne looks beyond perfect. I clearly need to come & visit again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making lasagne. Will definitely make one on your next visit :)

      Delete
  5. Your lasagne looks great! We get some of the LM products here, but I haven't seen this new range yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've only appeared here a couple of weeks ago so hopefully they will reach Australia soon.

      Delete
  6. The lasagne looks delicious!! Will defy have to try out this recipe. I saw the pulled chicken in my local morrisons but it slightly freaked me out as it looked a lot like normal chicken! Does it taste like chicken?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. The texture is pretty good but the taste is fairly neutral. I would say like tofu you need to add some flavours in. It worked well to add the wine and herbs with the sauce.

      Delete
  7. Sounds interesting! I've found Morrissons has expanded its range of vegan products and has a few things I normally get from Holland and Barrats in which is great. I tried some pulled pork burgers that I honestly didn't fancy the look of *laughs*, but they were very nice as it turns out. We had the new vegan chicken pieces and fillets though and found them very dry, like very dry breast meat (eurrrgh, ye gads, just for comparison for those who know what that's like). Things are really moving at the supermarkets now aren't they? Sainsburies ha thoe new cheeses coming out too. I'll definitely give the above a go. Thanks Caroline, and by the way, I'm loving the teas and reading the book, thank you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, glad you like the book. The editor is someone I work with :)

      Delete
  8. Cor that looks amazing! I've only managed to get a hold of the chorizo sausages so far, but they are super tasty. So nice to have move choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the sausages are great. Can't wait to be passing a Morrisons again. There's none near us, Matt got this in Nottingham when he was visiting his mum.

      Delete
  9. That looks really good - where did you manage to track them down? I haven't seen any of the new vegan stuff around here and clearly I need to try it out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just Morrisons at the moment with the new Linda's stuff. Hopefully it will get rolled out further.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cola de Mono

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe