Vegan Mofo 2016 Day 13 Marmite Croissants


Today's prompt asks if an alien landed on your doorstep what would it eat? Seeing as it's an alien I wouldn't have a clue. It would also have to arrive around breakfast time to catch us in. With that in mind I would like to find out it's views on marmite. Would it be 'love it' or 'hate it'?


Hands up if you watch 'Eat Well for Less'. If you don't the basic premise of the programme is that two blokes who used to be green grocers spend a couple of weeks with a family and find ways for them to dramatically reduce their food bills. It's usually things like making takeaway style food at home for cheaper, having one meal instead of cooking four different ones for picky eaters and buying supermarket own brand goods instead of pricier brand leaders. They also always feature one item where they reckon it is worth paying MORE. This is usually something like sausages or bacon from a local butcher instead of a supermarket it. In our budget household our pay more item is Essential Yeast extract which although more expensive has less salt and much more B vits than Marmite.


Back to the alien. I think a croissant would be a good food as it wouldn't need cutlery and it tastes good either hot or cold. To prepare the croissants you simply unroll the tin (I use vegan friendly Jus Rol brand) and add a slick of yeast extract.


Once rolled I snuck some nuts in there by decorating the tops with flaked almonds.


They only take 10 minutes to cook so that's not too long for awkward silences if the alien doesn't speak English and you don't speak their language and just enough time to do a tour of the house. I wonder what aliens like to drink?
PS - The picked onion and onion pots in the background are what we store garlic and ginger in.

Comments

  1. The relations between aliens and humans could hinge on their reaction to marmite. I love your thinking, even though I hate marmite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to love Marmite while working in a British team in refugee camps in Tanzania some years ago. Now I always have it in the cupboard and only wish I had access to Essential Yeast Extract--will look for something similar. But I like this idea and look forward to making these croissants in the very near future. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get enough of Marmite on most things savoury, so I think that any alien would be please to get its tentacles around these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegemite or nothing. ;) Though Vegemite is the most polarising of the yeast extract spreads, so I guess the earth may be doomed! Hee hee.
    Love your little pots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yum yum! When I was little my Nana used to roll out a big sheet of pastry and smear marmite on it, then sometimes add grated cheese, and roll, slice & bake. This reminds me of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of savory croissants.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Cola de Mono

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe